Friday, March 6, 2009

Bruce Museum



Well..... the Bruce, what can I say, it looks like a nice house on a hill, pretty modern colonial type structure which boasts of something more than it is. I walk in and am greeted by the nice receptionist, hang my coat and she tells of the great exhibits that I should check out. I wasn't aware of the fact that its only one floor, including the art shop, lecture hall and cafe room. Anyway you walk through the double doors into a dark grey hall with a vaulted ceiling which is the main gallery. Housed here is an exhibit of mini stage sets, which were very cool. I've always been facinated by those things. There were about 10-15 of them, very interesting little things that you can stare at for quite some time, which I did. Below are a few:
Attached to this main gallery was another, lighter grey, room which was home to their collection of sculptures, many of which were of the modern, very modern variety. For example in this collection is a wax figure of a man, tattered shirt and all. I think he was a plumber or something, it even had belly hair ( gross I know) but true, it was sticking out of the hole in his shirt! There was a beautiful hand blown glass vase set, that was set against a mirror, it was georgeous. A couple of other interesting scultures were there. In a corner feature was a painted metal structure very reminicsent of the things that the "modern art" creating mother from Beatlejuice used to do. A few other things caught my eye but nothing significant.

There is also another "gallery" which I walked through very quickly, it was more of a natural history exhibit which included soem mineral rocks, fish and dinosaurs. I can say that I wasn't very impressed with the Bruce and my stay wasn't long at all, I could have saved gas for another place.

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you were not a happy camper... So this can be one of your photo essays then...

    It does help to check the museum website before setting out... just to see what's up and if that would interest you....This was just one of several possibilities....

    ReplyDelete